Property and Conveyancing Lawyers

Peace of mind for all your property and conveyancing needs.

Sydney Property and Conveyancing Lawyers

Whether it is your home, business premises or an investment, property is one of the most important and expensive transactions you will make in your lifetime. Experience shows that there is no such thing as a “standard conveyance”.

At Ivy Law Group, we have a team of dedicated and experienced property and conveyancing lawyers who understand all facets of property law and conveyancing and know how to look after your interests whilst still providing a friendly and personal service.

Whether it’s buying or selling a residential property, purchasing off-the-plan, or you need legal assistance with some of the more unique aspects of property law including covenants and easements, put and call options, or related party transfers, our property and conveyancing team are here to assist.

What sort of matters can our Property and Conveyancing team assist you with?

In addition, our dedicated team of commercial lawyers can assist with all non-residential leases including commercial, industrial and retail leases, licensing of real property, in addition to providing general commercial and retail leasing advice. To learn more, visit our page on commercial leasing.  

Why choose Ivy Law for your Property and Conveyancing needs?

Property matters can create a lot of anxiety, particularly when you are waiting for settlement or confirmation of the other party’s deposit. Our friendly and approachable Sydney property and conveyancing lawyers will always keep you fully informed throughout the process and will do so in plain and simple English.

The cornerstone of Ivy Law Group is to provide advice that is timely, transparent and to the point. We employ a best practice customer service approach to having your property related matter dealt as efficiently as possible to take the anxiety out of the whole process.

If you require property or conveyancing services, get in touch with us today on 02 9262 4003 or submit an online enquiry

Property & Conveyancing FAQs

Most property lawyers (also known as property solicitors) who do conveyancing usually practice in other areas of law, whereas conveyancers are only permitted to practice in conveyancing.

In simple terms, a solicitor will be able to provide legal advice where a conveyancer is unable to, particularly where the matter is more complex and not a “straightforward” transaction.

Most law firms will charge a fixed fee on purchase matters, however some firms do charge at an hourly rate. Disbursements are generally charged on top of professional fees, which are any costs your solicitor or conveyancer has incurred on your behalf during the matter. This could be anything from securing a land tax clearance certificate to obtaining rates certificates.

At Ivy Law Group, our property solicitors charge a fixed fee on purchase matters depending on the type of purchase, complexity of the matter and estimated purchase price of the property.

If you would like to learn more about how our property and conveyancing lawyers can assist, please submit an online enquiry.

Settlement is the final stage of the property sale/purchase process. This is when you pay the balance of the purchase price for the property plus any adjustments as required to the vendor, and ownership of the property will then pass to you. If you plan to live in the property after settlement, you may collect the keys to the property from the real estate agent once settlement has taken place.

In NSW, the usual settlement period is 42 days (6 weeks) after contracts are exchanged but can be made longer or shorter by negotiation.

While it is not compulsory in NSW to be legally represented when selling a property, selling a property is a legal process, so it is helpful to have a solicitor on board to provide advice that is in your best interests. 

It is also important to note that if you have engaged a real estate agent to market and sell your property on your behalf or you have decided to sell the property yourself, a Contract for Sale must be prepared before a property can be advertised for sale. 

Construction time for off-the-plan properties can vary from a few months to a few years depending on the size of the development and construction process. As the timeframe is uncertain, if you are planning to purchase an off-the-plan property, it is important to look at the contract for the sunset date, which is the date that the development must be completed by. Where there are delays outside of the developer’s control, the sunset date can be extended.

To learn more about purchasing off the plan, see our article: Purchasing a property off-the-plan? Here’s what you need to know.

A covenant is an agreement registered on title that imposes obligations on its owner in relation to the land. Covenants are common in situations where land is subdivided as part of a housing development. Developers may want to establish construction standards in the covenant, such as the minimum size of a dwelling or limiting the type of materials used for the construction of the dwelling, with the objective of maintaining the aesthetics and quality of housing.

An easement is an interest registered on title that gives a landowner who does not own the property, or a statutory authority (such as local council), a right to use the land for a specific purpose. For example: right of ways where there is a shared driveway that a landlocked owner needs to use to access their property.

This is known as a “related party transfer” whereby you can transfer a property or a part share of a property to a related party such as a spouse, family members or people in a business or personal relationship.

There are legal implications to this process, so it’s important to engage an experienced property lawyer to ensure it is done correctly. At Ivy Law Group, our team of property lawyers are here to assist – get in touch with us on 02 9262 4003 or submit an online enquiry.

Check out our NEW Podcast

We cover the tough family law issues in the time it takes you to drink your coffee.